Frequently Asked Questions

Your Water Bill

How do I pay my bill?

Your water bill can be paid online using MyWAM, in person at your local District office, over the phone by calling 1-877-637-3661, or by mail.

If you wish to pay after regular business hours, drop your payment with the payment stub in the overnight deposit box located at the entrance of the District office.

Mailing your payment:
Enclose the detachable bottom portion of your bill, along with a check or money order for the amount due, in the envelope provided to ensure speed and efficiency in processing. Please do not include cash or coins. Please allow 7 to 10 business days for your payment to be received and posted on your account.

If the envelope provided is lost, please mail your payment to the following address:
Los Angeles County Treasurer
P.O. Box 512150
Los Angeles, CA 90051-0150

When is my bill due?

Your water bill is due and payable upon presentation. You have 25 days from the date the bill is prepared to make your payment before the bill is delinquent. Bills that are delinquent are subject to a $10.00 late fee. A $33.00 fee is charged to cover processing costs for all returned checks.

How many gallons of water are represented by each "unit" on the water bill?

Each billing unit is 100 cubic feet of water which is equal to 748 gallons.

What is my water rate?

Click here to view your water rate.

Why do the Districts not offer reduced rates to "low-income customers"?

LACWD established its water rates based on the fair distribution of the true cost of water which includes operational and maintenance costs, administrative expenses, and reserves for capital improvements and emergency. Rate reduction to certain customers based on income or age for the same amount of water used would unfairly require a rate increase on other customers to subsidize the reduced rates.

Are my water bills considered public record?

The LACWD confidentiality clause in the Rules and Regulations states that individual customer applications and billing and payment records are not public records and cannot be released. The only exceptions are released under a court order or written authorization of the account holder.

How can I put the water bill under a different name?

If you are the owner of the property and want to establish water service in your name, you must complete and sign an application for service. Also, as part of the application for service, you must provide proof of ownership. The most common proof is a copy of the recorded Grant Deed for the property to be serviced.

If you have already established water service in your name, and want the water bill to go to a tenant or another payer, a new application for water service must be completed and jointly signed by both the owner and tenant. The water bill can be prorated to the date of occupancy. The owner of the property to be serviced is ultimately responsible for the account, even if the bills are sent to another payer. The owner will receive "owner bill" copies of all bills and notices that go to the service address.

Please contact your local District office for additional information, or if you would like to have the forms faxed or mailed to you.

How do I read my water meter?

The register on the meter has numbers and a sweep hand and is read in units of hundred cubic feet (1 HCF = 748 gallons). In the center of the register are dials with numbers similar to the odometer on an automobile. Only the first four numbers are read for 3/4” or 1” meters and the first six numbers are read for 1 1/2” or 2” meters, and they are read from left to right. The last two numbers to the extreme right in black are not used for reading purposes.

MyWAM - Online Bill Pay

How do I register for MyWAM?

Click here for a step by step guide on how to register for MyWAM.

Can I set up my account to be paid automatically, and can I pay by credit card?

The new My Waterworks Account Manager (MyWAM) allows you to easily access and manage your LACWD account online and view billing policies and rate information anytime, anywhere. Register for MyWAM to securely view your account balance, pay your bill and monitor your water consumption—you’ll even be able to compare your water use to your region. After completing the MyWAM online registration process you will have several payment options to choose from including eCheck, credit card, quick pay, which allows you to make a one-time payment using your credit card or checking account, and auto pay, which allows you to set up automatic payments using your credit card or checking account.

How to update credit card expiration date that is used for Auto Pay?

To update your credit card expiration date you will first need to remove the credit card stored payment profile. Go to 'Make a Payment' and 'Remove' the previous stored credit card. Once you remove the stored credit card information, this will automatically stop your Auto Pay. Now you will need to make a onetime credit card payment for any amount, say $0.01. Click on 'I want to pay with a new Credit Card'. You must make a payment in order for your new credit card information to be stored. Then click on next, enter your payment amount and credit card information. You will be prompted if you want to store your information for future use; select Yes. Next, you will need to go back to the main page and select 'Auto Pay'. You will need to follow the prompts; first click on 'I would like to enroll in Auto Pay', you will now see your stored credit card information. Next, click on 'Enroll in Auto Pay'. You have successfully changed your credit card information and re-enrolled in Auto Pay.

What email address should I set my junk email filter to allow incoming emails from MyWAM?

Email sent from MyWAM are addressed as follows: and

If our email was sent to your junk mail, you can choose our email from the junk list and select the 'junk' button and choose Never Block Sender's Domain (

Please configure you junk mail filter to allow Email with this address.

How do I sign up for paperless billing or eBill?

During the registration process there is the option to select 'yes' for eBill. You can also select eBill through the 'Change Profile' button. If you sign up for eBill then you will receive an email notification that includes your current water bill amount and due date each time your bill is generated. You will then be able to log into MyWAM and ‘view’ a pdf version of your bill under 'Billing History'.

I want to enroll in Auto Pay, but your website won't let me.

Thank you for your inquiry. You are only getting the how to apply for Auto Pay, and no "continue" or "register" or "enroll" button. To enable Auto Pay enrollment you must first make a single payment (any amount) and select to "store your payment" information. If you are using a stored "credit card" payment profile, you may immediately enroll in Auto Pay. However, if you are using a stored "checking account" payment profile, you must wait 24 hours after making the initial payment to begin to enroll in Auto Pay. This provides enough time for processing the initial check payment and storing your checking account payment profile for future use. Thank you.


For additional information, please call (877) 637-3661


Waterworks Site:  FAQ  |  Contact  |  SiteMap